Iceland Day 3 (Svartifoss, Diamond Beach, Jokulsarlon Lagoon, around east toward Seydisfjordur)

Today, we started off by backtracking to where we started yesterday.  There was a unique waterfall I wanted to see as well as definitely wanted to spend more time at the Lagoon as well as visit Diamond Beach across the road.  Ryan started to not feel good the night before so he slept much of today and what would soon turn into 2 1/2 days.  He was a trooper - he stayed in the car with his sleeping bag while I drove, went off on various hikes and checked out other photo ops.  Over the course of the next couple days he barely said much nor did I see his eyes open.  Part of me felt bad (sorta like I was dragging a lifeless corpse around so I could sightsee), but he agreed that he doesn't want both of us to miss seeing things and we only had so much time.  When awake, he could see what was visible from the parking lot.  He was out for the 5km round trip waterfall hikes.
 
Back to Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Beach by 8am 








This raven was giving me a sign....   I was wishing I was dead about now.  Fever chills, aching everywhere!  All I could do was sit curled up occasionally glancing outside.  Poor Shannon was trying to talk to me and about all she heard was uh, or uhhuh for about 36 hrs.  I think my only actual words were, I ache everywhere, I'm freezing, and I'm burning up.  I'm so sorry I abandoned her on our trip, even though I was right next to her.  I love you and sorry you had to go it alone for so long babe :( You sure did a great job!  -Ryan


















This is my view from the passenger seat in the parking lot taken with the phone!  Even though I didn't go down to the bay, the view was still awesome!  But it was a short lived view as I passed right back out... It's funny now, but wasn't then... lol -Ryan



Icelandic Reindeer



Icebergs that have been swept out the channel toward the ocean.

Diamond Beach

Diamond Beach is across the street from the lagoon.  There is a channel of water that washes icebergs out to the ocean.  Diamond Beach is where some icebergs get washed back up on shore.




Lambhagi Waterfall








Svartifoss Waterfall



So glad Shannon wasn't sick so she could go and explore these waterfalls...   At least I can see the pictures too! -Ryan

 
A thin flat sheet of ice with waves. Curious how it froze this way.
Onward now back toward Hofn to see about getting Ryan some medicine.  Oh, but wait...another visit at Glacier Lagoon!!!

The glacier we hiked yesterday looks different with a little brightness and less rain

The lagoon also looked more vibrant our second visit there.




A bit of the Milky Way from our nap spot #1 for the evening along the coast.


Our first glimpse of the Northern Lights from nap spot #2 - Ryan actually spotted it during one of the brief times he woke up.  Hey, it looks like aurora over there... ZZZZZZZZ  I was so super excited I got to work rushing to get the gear out.  I had never envisioned that I would be doing this part alone...we'd planned and prepared for this moment...and I was on my own.

It was at our first Aurora sighting that my new "specially for Iceland trip" Canon G5x hit the dirt...literally.  I was (and still am) devastated.  It is a phenomenal little camera with superior ranges.  Winds were very strong and I was extremely careful to have hold of the tripods at all times...well, all except when I was grabbing the hair out of my face for about 2 seconds.  (RIP G5x  12/23/16 to 1/24/17) - Shannon 
Late breaking development!  The Canon factory store is replacing our G5 under warranty even though I told them it was dropped!  I can't believe they just gave us a new $600 camera!  So far they have upgraded us from a SX50 to a SX60 for $79, replaced the SX60 free of charge and now replaced the G5 free of charge!  Canon ROCKS! -Ryan










Even though this was a mild Aurora night, Shannon did a GREAT job with pictures!  This is one of my favorites -Ryan



After our first Aurora spotting, we drove up the coast to see what else we could find.  I saw these green lights in the water and was anxious to stop.  After finally finding a pull off, I was mesmerized by these green lights.  The camera captures more details that I could see in the dark.  Still unsure of what they were.  The green intensity changed just like the aurora - just in the water???  Aurora was also in the sky.  Also, after reviewing the photos, the bright light next to the green glows is actually a bot.









Even got a little dancing action tonight







 
 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gallup to Parumph, Wrap-up

Day 7 - Flaming Gorge to Tetons

Orlando then a dose of National Wildlife Refuges